An automated external defibrillator (AED) was used to save the life of a student at South Effingham High School on Dec. 12, marking the first time the equipment was used to save a student.
The student participating in after-school soccer conditioning collapsed, became unconscious and stopped breathing, Assistant Superintendent Yancy Ford said in a report to the school board.
CPR was started while the AED was brought to the scene and 911 called. The student was shocked twice before responding and was transported to Memorial Hospital, Ford said.
“He was stable and doing well,” he said. “He was later sent to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta for testing and followup treatment. This was the first time we have needed to use the AED on a student. The SEHS staff in attendance responded quickly and appropriately and with the help of the AED saved the young man’s life.”
Staff members involved in the rescue were presented with Hero Award certificates, as part of Georgia Project Heart Save.